www.gosymbian.com Forum Index
the official site of FExplorer for Series 60 phones

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between modes? And battery consumption questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.gosymbian.com Forum Index -> XXL Screen Saver (general section)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Difference between modes? And battery consumption questions. Reply with quote

Hello Smile

I have just downloaded the XXL screensaver and am now testing it. It runs well on the Nokia 3230.

Now my (maybe stupid?) question:

What is the difference between "Mode 1" and "Mode 2"..? Because i can not see any difference, neither in digital nor analog mode........

And how about battery consumption? This is important for me. Does the battery drain faster when XXL is used instead of the original screensaver (date and time)?

Also, is there a (hidden?) option to turn the display of the date OFF in digital mode? That small number below the clock looks so sad and forlorn there..... better without it (or, even better, show date and month....)

Last question: When i set the "redraw" to 60 seconds, i guess it uses less power than when it's set to 20 seconds, right..? The 3230 has a small battery Smile

Kind regards.....

Thanh
FT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mode 2 will redraw just a little portion of the screen, so it will drain less battery than the Mode 1 that will redraw all the screen... However yes, it will drain less battery making it redraw in much more time (of course)...

Edit: sorry Embarassed

Last edited by FT on Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
for what I can understand, it's not clear why redrawing an LCD screen only partially can save more battery power: the fact is that an LCD continuously needs a little power power to mantain its displayed imagine: it's not elettrostatic. And it needs the same power every fraction of time to refresh the crystals: so even frequently updating the shown image shouldn't cause by itself a larger battery drain.
Maybe the problem, if any, is releated to the higher processor load needed to refresh the image more frequently, requiring more power.
But anyway, if this is true, no differences should be practically found between updating the entire LCD screen or only a part of it (mode 1 vs. mode 2)

Did anybody yet reliably tested the difference between mode 1 and mode 2 for which regards the battery drain, or this difference is only simply desumed from the technical documentation?

In other words, which are the fundamentals of these underlaying statements about LCD updating and power saving?

Thanks and bye

impazzito

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: mode 2 or mode 1??? Reply with quote

FT wrote:
Mode 2 will redraw just a little portion of the screen, so it will drain less battery than the Mode 2 that will redraw all the screen... However yes, it will drain less battery making it redraw in much more time (of course)...

Mode 2 will redrow just a little portion of the screen or Mode 1???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: mode 2 or mode 1??? Reply with quote

impazzito wrote:
FT wrote:
Mode 2 will redraw just a little portion of the screen, so it will drain less battery than the Mode 2 that will redraw all the screen... However yes, it will drain less battery making it redraw in much more time (of course)...

Mode 2 will redrow just a little portion of the screen or Mode 1???

ok..this is the solution...

Saver mode - mode 1/mode 2 : the XXLScreenSaver can work with two modes :
mode 1: the display is entirely redrawn, this mode uses more energy but runs on all phones
mode 2: the display is partially redrawn, this mode uses less energy but not all phones can use it due to the themes installed, due to some other application, ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.gosymbian.com Forum Index -> XXL Screen Saver (general section) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: